nav

header





Habits


Hello from Germany!

This past week has been filled with the most wonderful things, the most lovely of which has been the company of a special someone very close to my heart. In addition to indulging in homemade sushi, the calmness of a small European town, True Blood marathons, daylong trips to nearby cities, and the half understood lilting of a beautiful language, I have been awaiting the return of the last post published here. It seems, however, that Blogger will not be returning vanishing posts to their authors. Instead, I imagine that all the missing posts of thousands of blogs are mingling together and sharing beautiful ideas in some imaginary land.

I will be in Germany for another three weeks. The time spent here is much needed after a very intense academic year, one which, to be honest, dealt quite a blow to my creative journey. Last year I wrote about how I was just beginning to find my voice, something I had been yearning for for quite a long time. Today I feel like I am back at the very beginning of my journey: unsure of myself and my artistic abilities, unsure of how to put paint on a page, unsure of how to move forward.

I feel the same about this space; I have found myself struggling with how to share the words and images I daydream of. I stumble over syntax and meaning, vocabulary and structure. This is a sure result of the unintended development of the habit of non-blogging, one which I firmly intend to change this summer. Within the first few days I arrived here, I found a little art shop and bought four tubes of acrylics. Over the next few months I intend on gently leading myself back towards a place of artistic security and joy; this includes relearning how to be present, open, and joyful in this space.

I in fact have a few planned posts to share in the near future, including the long overdue introduction of two beautiful and talented artists, both teachers in this season's 21 Secrets.

The journey to creativity is not a static one: we must always be searching, pushing, moving, and striving forward. There is so end to be reached - there is only new discovery, exploration, growth, stretching, and learning, and when we take a pause from this forward momentum we momentarily lose much of what we had learned. Art is something which must be practiced over and over again. It is only through this we can really make it our own.

7 comments:

Romantic Heroine said...

oh, you are really in germany?! Which part?! Good to hear you're having a great time.

You speak true words and I know how you feel. A few months ago I thought I got closer to the person I want to be but, like you, I feel like I'm back at the beginning.

enjoy the rest of your time in Germany. I wonder how german sounds to non-nationals.

Brandi {not your average ordinary} said...

I'm so glad you're in Germany with your special someone. How you put up with all that time apart is just a mystery to me. I can't wait to see where you journey takes you. I feel like I'm in a similar spot -- just beginning to start over again and figure it all out. Here's to us both finding our voices and our bliss.

Abby said...

I always feel the same way after not blogging for a while... it's hard sometimes to get back into the rhythm of things. You are right about having to practice art over and over again... Have fun in Germany!!

OStarr said...

Hi Ingrid, I just watched all your videos for your course on 21 Secrets and wanted to tell you how much I loved them. I have been art-journaling for a while now and just love the mandalas and dreamboards approach - it's something I haven't done before and I think it's a wonderful too. I am also thrilled to have discovered your blog; your posts are beautiful and insightful. Looking forward to reading more!
Olga
www.olgastarr.blogspot.com
www.OSPhotography.com

Deidre said...

Enjoy Germany - and enjoy some of there delicious bread.

I find it quite refreshing how honest you are about your journey and accepting that it ebbs and flows.

Monica {bohemian twilight} said...

hi there, just stumbled in. enjoying your blog while you're enjoying Germany!

Penny said...

I was wondering why your last post was gone! I didn't read it right away and by the time I read it on my feed reader, I clicked the link to comment and it was gone! :O

I wish you would not worry so much about how you share things on your blog as far as your vocabulary and grammar- I can't speak for everyone but I'm sure we all just love hearing from you, no matter your choice of words or sentence structure.

I look forward to all of your summer posts, friend, I love reading your words and admiring your art & photography.

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...