nav

header





Macro Photography Hack



Riz just wrote about the macro cheat that I had attempted here. The process is pretty simple: take your lens off, turn it around so that the front of the lens creates a seal against the body of the camera, manually release the shutter, and snap a photo. My Nikon has a 18-55mm lens, and while I didn't find it too difficult to get a photo that was in focus, it does take some patience and a few attempts to get the shot you are aiming for. Because the camera is taken apart, you will have to manually focus by moving closer to or further away from your subject.

I love that the highly-zoomed-in nature of macro shots transforms the subject matter into an abstract piece, dismantling what we think we know about a Thing and rebuilding it out of texture and color and shapes organized in a more unfamiliar way. Really looking at something and seeing it for what it is, instead of seeing it as a preconceived notions of how it should look, is one of the best pieces of advice I have ever received on rendering a drawing, painting, or sketch to be true to life.

Each of these photos – except for one – is of a plant or flower, though most of their names elude me. Can you guess what the second-to-last photo is? I'll give you a hint.

Let me know what you think of this technique if you do give it a shot (no pun intended)!

2 comments:

Rhiannon said...

Oh wow Ingrid!! Those photos are incredible! It's so much fun playing around with this technique :)

Elijah Murray said...

This is awesome!

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...