nav

header





Sketchbook Project 2014, Pages 1-8



Woohoo! Just like that, I've crossed another 2014 Baby-Steps Goal off. On Wednesday, I sent in my first (completed) book for the annual Sketchbook Project. True to form, I finished it the day of the deadline, even doodling last-minute details while in line at the post office.

I gave a peek of my first steps in this post. To start, I took apart the original stapled binding and began working on hardier, loose-leafed watercolor paper. Beginning my creation with deconstruction helped me to move worrying about "screwing up" the perfect white pages in the sketchbook. I used mostly collage as my medium, creating unusually simple pages that, for the most part, lacked a center focus. Part of this was due to time, but I do like the overall feel of the book – to me, it's a meditation on the quietest parts of my soul.

Let me take you on a tour of the first eight pages!


1. I wanted the first page to be an introduction of me, the artist, to the viewer. I included a few facts about myself, my web address, and a moody snapshot of myself. (Did you know that Target can print your Instagram photos?! I'm so thrilled to have found this out.)


2. Left: Collage with magazine cutouts and a color photocopy of a page from my large art journal.
Right: Graph paper, Post-It note, ballpoint pen, washi tape*.

*All washi tape in this book is from Cute Tape.


3. Left: An excerpt from one of my favorite books, Anne of Green Gables, and washi tape.
Right: Masking tape painted over with blue acrylic, and the constellation Orion illustrated with silver sharpie and a white gel pen.


4. Left: Page cut out from my most recent art journal, washi tape.
Right: Black acrylic paint and cutouts from my Mother Goose art journal.


5. Left: Another Instagram photo glued to a graphite pencil/charcoal background.
Right: Printed words over acrylic background.


6. Left: Vintage map and sharpie. The arrows and letters symbolize people and places.
Right: Acrylic paint, transparent photo ink (scored for free while picking up photos at Target), correction tape, Instagram photo, staples, masking tape, stamps. Doodles were added with ballpoint pen just before the book went into the mail! And, incidentally, this is my least favorite page of the whole lot.


7. Left: beeswax crayon over watercolor, ironed.
Right: Page from most recent art journal.


8. This is a doodle I made while in class, likely last year. It's done with ballpoint pen and highlighters. Creativity is everywhere! On the right is part of a mandala design I colored with marker, then taped (with washi tape) to make a flap...


... under which reads Shhh, written in charcoal.

Stay tuned for the rest of the book! [Update: check out part two!] I'd love to hear from you, too: what is your favorite page and why? Least favorite? If you did the project and shared photos, send a link my way; I'd love to see!

3 comments:

Natty said...

Yay Ingrid! I love the beeswax crayon on the watercolor. I can stare at that for hours and I have no idea why. I guess I'm easily entertained ;)

Erica said...

All these pages are so great! I love them all... the only thing I don't like is the face on the very last one, though I like the words and the flip. My favorites are Orion, the mother goose page and the page you like the least (which, coincidentally, is my favorite).

kathleen rose said...

beautiful pages. I wanted to participate this year but ran out of time. I'm definitely participating in the 2014 one.
How did you do the crayon + watercolor page? It's my favorite...

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...