nav

header





02 September 2014

Blog Renovation: What Now?



Woohoo! You've decided to rework your blog!
So... what now?

I've been going back to basics and reading up successful bloggers' advice for new bloggers. The things I'm most interested in are maintaining consistency in voice, subject, and schedule; targeting your audience while staying true to yourself; establishing trust and community; and figuring out your blog's focus. One of the most helpful articles I've found thus far is called "How to Decide What to Blog About". I've found its content a very useful way to measure My Peacetree's current focus, purpose, and pull. The author of the article, Amy Lynn Andrews, proposes that there are five general reasons readers will return to a blog or website:
  1. It helps solve a problem.
  2. It assuages the reader's fear(s).
  3. It teaches or introduces something new.
  4. It pushes the reader reach a goal.
  5. It is entertaining.
Think about the most popular blog genres; from fashion to food to DIY, you can likely put them in at least one of these categories. This made a lot of sense to me, and reminded me of something I learned about when taking a playwriting class in college: without some sort of conflict to be resolved, there is no interesting story to tell (or to hear). If you need an example, check out this simple playwriting exercise and accompanying article.

But back to the list. Where does your blog or website fall? My Peacetree started out in the solve-a-problem/learn-something-new fields, perhaps with assuage-your-fears thrown in (reminding readers that they are, indeed, loveable and valued). This weekend, I went through every single post I have published here, saving and categorizing my favorites. As early as December 2009 – only seven months after founding My Peacetree – I wrote,
When I began blogging, I intended to write about creativity and philosophy and inspiration, and how all three are woven together in a beautiful, complex, astounding way. Instead, somehow these things have morphed into hastily written snippets about what I am doing or what will be happening soon.
Dissatisfaction with my posts is not a new thing. But I also surprised myself with how many, of the hundreds I have written, I like and am proud of.

I also noticed that every post that represents my best self, art, and writing falls into one of the categories above. Additionally, other than end-of-year reflections, every single post I put onto these lists is "big picture". In other words, its content has little-to-nothing to do with my day-to-day life, but with overarching themes of life, beauty, art, and creativity. Each of these subjects can be applied to the five categories above; my day-to-day life can't.

Right now, my goal is to make sure my interests and blog posts align. The very first step I am going to take in making that happen is to ask, each time I publish, "Does this post solve a problem or attempt to soothe a fear? Or does it teach, set a goal, or entertain?" For now, anyway, this will be my guideline for content creation – making sure my posts stay on task and are relevant, useful, and interesting.

Many more posts on blogging to come! I'll be looking at how getting re-introduced to yourself; planning blog posts; defining your reader; using helpful apps and marketing; and interpreting your stats can all help to inspire you and create a blog that both you and your readers love to visit.

(And don't panic, darlings.. I have other non-blogging posts in the works, too.)
Whew! What did you think of this post? Have any suggestions, questions, or requests? Drop me a line here!

1 comment:

Kristie Hill said...

Hi Ingrid! Thank you for sharing my "most popular blog niche" post! You have a lot of great thoughts here about renovating your blog!

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...