nav

header





04 October 2014

Knowing Yourself, Knowing Your Blog | Part One



Way back when I first began blogging, I found and shared a questionnaire called "15 Questions to Discover Your Personal Mission". The survey pushes you to define what you love to do, what – and who – inspires you, and in which areas you are most naturally gifted; the idea is to condense these answers and reveal what would be most fulfilling to you in your career or personal life. I first answered the questions in a post called Soul Searching in 2009.

I have come back to this survey a few times, and it has always been helpful. Answering the questions again 5 years later shows me how much I have changed, grown into myself, and lets me see how I am healing from the scars of emotional abuse. I am sharing it again to assist in developing my blog focus, but also to get back in touch with myself and let go of those things that I still assume are part of my identity, even though they have long ago disappeared. I also may discover new things that have changed how I define myself.

I will be breaking this up into three posts – the original single post just kept growing and growing! Comments have been disabled, but if you like this or want to share your own answers, you can write me here or contact me on Twitter or Facebook!

Discovering You, Part One | Questions 1-5


1. What makes you smile? (Activities, people, events, hobbies, projects, etc.)
Animals. Children. Terrible anti-jokes. Spring. Creative flow. Beautiful stories about compassion. Those who struggle, fighting their way to higher places. Being inspired. Thunderstorms. The ocean. New Year's. Working on a craft project. Experiencing others' joy and excitement, especially kids'. Investing in clothes & housewares that feel like me. Fireflies. Beautiful art. Spoken word poetry. Sunlight. Nature. Rainy days. Trees. Seeing little ordinary things that no one else notices – like an ant crawling in the grass, or a heart-shaped piece of confetti forgotten on the sidewalk. Being barefoot.

2. What are your favorite things to do in the past? What about now?
Piano. Crafting. Being in nature. Art journaling. Observing wildlife. Journaling. Nurturing animals, dolls, or children. Writing. Learning about art.

Traveling. Spending time with animals & nature. Decorating. Crafting. Visiting my dearest friends. Reading self-help stuff. Working on design. Window shopping. Collecting ideas. Having deep discussions. Being anonymous in a city. Spending quiet time alone. Spending a day at the beach. Observing wildlife. Driving. Talking to people of different backgrounds and experiences. Improving my Self, one moment at a time. Doing anonymous, random acts of kindness. Thrifting.

3. What activities make you lose track of time?
Reading a great book. Any creative flow. Being busy with things that are interesting and somewhat challenging. Web/blog design. Seeing a good play. Listening to Prairie Home Companion. Window shopping. Browsing Pinterest. Learning something new.

4. What makes you feel great about yourself?
Doing my hair and makeup. Getting enough sleep. Finishing something – usually art or an article – that I'm proud of. Making another person feel valued, loved, and worthy. Having time to myself. Going to a new place. Getting all the dishes washed. Connecting with animals. Having beach hair. Being affirmed by others. Running, and meeting my goals. Having things in order. Wearing clothes that fit, are beautiful, and make me feel amazing. Spending times with kids. Being barefoot outside all day. That first kiss after 6+ months apart. Feeling productive.

5. Who inspires you most? (Anyone you know or do not know. Family, friends, authors, artists, leaders, etc.) Which qualities inspire you, in each person?
> Kate Winslet as Clementine - who possesses a carefree, I-am-who-I-am, take-it->or-leave-it attitude.
> Nicole of Life Less BS - who is an I'll-give-you-a-kick-in-the-butt-because-I-know-you-can-do-it cheerleader.
> Morgan M & Amanda G - who both radiate sunshine, positivity, confidence, and love.
> Natty Mutrux - who is funny, quirky, and amazingly artistic.
> J.L. - a girl I taught who is creative, wonder-filled, funny, sensitive, active, and comfortable in her own skin.
---
To be continued; stay tuned!

linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...